Wednesday, December 31, 2008

BLUEBERRY/RASPBERRY MUFFINS

Requested by: Tabitha

Tabitha has been here the past week and is feeling the nausea of morning sickness and the cravings. Last night she so wanted blueberry muffins and no one was willing to make them, although Andy did volunteer to go into town to buy her one. So this morning I made her muffins and she helped out by taking the pictures for me. She was excited about helping me do a blog and took pictures of everything, needless to say I had to eliminate about half her pictures. She did a great job, don't you think?

Here's the ingredients you will need, flour, oatmeal or oat bran, flax seed, sugar, baking powder, milk, olive oil, eggs, blueberries, raspberries.

Start out by measuring 2 cups of flour and 1 cup sugar

This recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of oat bran. But since I don't have any on hand I'm using 1 cup of whole oatmeal (that's the regular, not quick-cook). I add 2 Tablespoons of flax seed to that and grind it up until it looks like a flour.

If you don't have one of these wonderful gadgets, you don't know what you are missing. I use mine evey day for something. I wore the first one out and had to go buy another. They work great for pureeing veggies for baby food. Just ask Chloe!

See how nice it grinds it up.

Dump this in with the flour.

Tabby had to take a picture of this for all of you. She thinks its funny because I keep all my measuring spoons in a cup. (OK she just told me that the picture is funny because I have paint brushes in it. I tried that thing with painting the cut out cookies and used brushes and this is where they ended up) It's just my thing I guess. I like it cause I never have to dig thru drawers to find my spoons and they're easy to grab. I won't do another survey about where you keep your measuring spoons but try it, you might like it.

Add 3 tsp baking powder.

Mix this up to combine everything. Sorry if using my hands grosses you out but its the best way to do this. And yes they were clean.

Measure out 1 cup of milk

And 1/3 cup olive oil

Pour the oil into the milk and crack in 2 eggs

Mix this up really good so the eggs are beaten

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquids

Now you want to mix this together but don't overmix!! If you do Rumplestilskin will come and take your first born child. Just kidding!

The recipe calls for 2 cups of blueberries but I like to use one cup

And then use 1 cup of raspberries

Stir the berries in

We like the big muffins in this house. Spray the tins with some cooking oil spray stuff.

And fill the tins about 2/3 full

If you want, sprinkle a little sugar on top of each muffin. Now bake them at 350 degrees about 30 minutes. I used frozen berries so it took an additional 5 minutes. Shorten the time about 5 minutes if you are making them in the regular muffin tins.

These are soooooooooooo good and actually good for you. Fiber from the oats and flax seed and antioxidants from the berries.

And pregnant mommies to be just love them.

BLUEBERRY/RASPBERRY MUFFINS

2 cups flour

1 1/4 cups oat bran or 1 cup ground oatmeal

2 Tbl ground flax seed

1 cup sugar

3 tsp baking powder

1 cup milk

1/3 cup olive oil

2 eggs

2 cups berries

Combine flour, oats, flax, sugar and baking powder. Mix together the milk, olive oil and eggs. Pour into center of dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Stir in the berries. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Makes 18 regular muffins or 9 large ones. These freeze well.

You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. Psalms 139:16

No comments: